Monday, September 26, 2016

The Force Awakens A New Hope

What is it about Star Wars that keeps fans begging for more?

TNT ran episodes 1 through 6 all weekend in honor of Mark Hamill's birthday. Starz is running Force Awakens nonstop. DisneyXD has Star Wars Rebels. Rogue 1 opens in December. There are decades of books, the previous cartoon –Star Wars Clone Wars, a roleplaying game, a (gulp) Christmas Special, toys, lunchboxes, clothing line, and the list goes on. All of those items can be found in my house in some form or another.
 
But, why? I love Star Wars. I grew up with it. My daughters love it. Even River loves it. Unless Emperor Palpatine comes on the screen, then she runs under the bed. Seriously, the first time she did this I laughed my butt off. I laughed hard the second time, too. My husband is the BIGGEST Star Wars fan I have ever met. He has collectibles from the 1970s. Why can’t we get enough?

Is it Harrison Ford’s scruffy, nerd herding good looks? Is it James Earl Jones smooth, but ominous voice? The golden bikini!?! The buns!?! What is it???

It is intelligent without being arrogant. It doesn’t talk down to its audience, heck they laugh with their fans at themselves. And the story is classic.

Lets break down “classic” it gets tossed about easily. Classic, to me, means timeless. I can watch the movies a zillion times, leave the room, come back, know all the lines, and still be enthralled by half-ass watching it.

Luke Skywalker is today’s Hercules without the alcohol. I have heard some refer to the Star Wars Sage as a Space Opera and I can see that. When it came out though I think it gave hope when there was none. Today’s generation has known only war. When my youngest saw Force Awakens, turns to me and said, “I want to be Rey.” I was reminded that it is not a Space Opera, but our generations Greek Myths.

There is a reason superheroes are doing as well as they are doing at the box office. This is why Disney reached for both Lucas Film and Marvel, because they know people need dreams, they need hope. We are begging for A New Hope.

I look forward to your comments below. Whether you are a fan or a trekkie. I love Star Trek, too. So, please no hate mail. Speaking of mail, I am starting a private newsletter. You can fill out the contact info form on my website. I swear on BB8 I will never give or sell any personal information. I worked for a telemarketing company once that bought huge lists and the practice disgusts me.

May the Force be with you.

Colleen Tews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time and opinion. Please sign up for my email list by writing to colleentews42@gmail.com with "Add Me in the Subject Line to stay informed. As an added bonus, leading up to the release of Virus Within you will receive a free story every month revolving around the characters in the Shadow Faith Universe.
Thank you, again. Hope you have an amazing day.